Sunday, September 27, 2009

Achieving Your Childhood Dream

First and foremost, I want to applaud Dr. Randy Pausch. He was awesome, his lecture was awesome and most of all it was dedicated to his children. I received goosebumps throughout the entire speech. I learned more about how he accomplished his dreams than the program that he created. In my opinion I was kind of drifting away because I was thinking of my own dreams and how I am starting to stop dreaming. However, I thought he brought out a lot of great points. I even enjoyed the the hello.world video that he presented. This video also showed how he is a people's person as well as family oriented person.
In this speech he broke it down into segments, which I thought was a great way to make his points. It had me thinking the entire time. Even though he has be dealing with cancer he let it be known that that was not going to be the topic of the hour. He made the statement that it was an inspiration to dream, which is true because dreaming can motivate a person to do so many things that they never thought they would be able to do.
I like how he broke down all of his childhood dreams like the point about becoming the NFL player. Even though he wasn't able to become a NFL player he learned some valuable lessons which in that case will work well throughout his life and others. It was a statement that made me think of my future teaching career and that was getting "fundamentals down because the fancy stuff won't work." That makes a lot of sense. I know there were times when in school we would do things and never knew what we were doing, what the purpose was and what we actually learned from it. When the whole time it was to make the teacher look good and all we ever got out of it was nothing. There were so many great points it is too many to state but I like the fact that brick wall are there to stop people that are not dedicated to the things they want to do. I can apply this in my classroom or for everyday life.
In closing, I did not really get much from his program except that it was a success but I did learn a lot about myself and my dedication to wanting to become a teacher. I want to be the Tigger in my classroom not the Eeyore. I want my students to take something from the classroom every second like I did with this video by Dr. Pausch. I want to be able to work harder and not complain. I want to be able to set the bar so that my students can over achieve. However, I want them to know they can achieve greater than the next person. All in all, I enjoyed this video and even though I was supposed to blog about his program at MIT I couldn't because I got more out of it than just the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment