Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ipods in Instruction

While reading different articles and searching the internet to find information on Ipods in instruction, I came across some interesting things. First and foremost, I came across this link cit.duke.edu/pdf/reports/ipod_initiative_04_05.pdf which discussed the evaluation of Duke University's experiment. First year freshmen were given Ipods to see there use in education. To me it was fascinating. I wish I was one of those students. It would even be the fact that I am getting a new mp3 players but the fact that I was a part of something that would be useful to the next student. I thought it was great how the use of technology that was designed for us to have fun out of it be used to educate us as well. As I researched more I realized that nothing had to do with music. I feel that is awesome.
I also noticed that other universities did the same thing. I have an Ipod touch and by reading these articles and knowing the information about Itunes U I will use it more on the education side versus the music side. However, I have heard but do not know for sure if there is any research on listening to things while you are sleeping and being able to retain it when you wake up. There are times when I sleep with my music playing and by the next morning I know words to the song that I did not know before. With Ipods along with Itunes U I feel it would be a great opportunity to listen to a lecture or at least record my notes and go to sleep and see if I retain any of it. I think I have an experiment on my hands but if I can do that would music then listening to lectures which is something that would help me later would be a great experience. However, I could even bring it into the classroom when I become a teacher. All in all ipods are great for education purposes. They can be used for more than we think and I think that is the best thing about technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment